Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Journey Into Why: A Chat with Simon Sinek October 2010

The Journey Into Why: A Chat with Simon Sinek
October 2010
by Marcie Peters



What inspires people to accomplish, succeed, lead, and try to change the world? What motivates people to make certain decisions? With copious consumer choices, how do you find and keep loyal customers? What makes someone a leader?

One of the most sought-after speakers in America today, Simon Sinek, has been intent on formulating the answers to such questions. Simon, who is slated to speak in San Diego on November 6, 2010 at the University of San Diego (Joan Kroc Institute of Peace and Justice) for the Indigo Village charity foundation, is the author of the book released in 2009: Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action. He is a marketing and leadership expert, prolific writer, and charismatic speaker featured on MSNBC, CNN, National Public Radio, Success Television and TED.com (see Simon’s TED speech). Simon graciously took a few moments from his hectic schedule to elaborate on the message that has been sweeping the country.



Q: Simon, I understand that this has been a very personal journey for you. Could you tell us your story and how you came up with the idea for "Why"? 

A: My journey started about four and a half years ago when I lost my passion for what I was doing. From all superficial standards I should have felt great about what I was doing – I owned my own business, which was going well and had amazing clients and produced quality work…but I didn’t feel like getting out of bed in the morning. Through a lucky confluence of events, I discovered a pattern: all great and inspiring leaders and organizations exist on three levels: what they do, how they do it, and why they do it. I realized that I knew what I did and how I did it but didn’t know why I did it. I became obsessed with this idea. Until I knew why I couldn’t be whole. Then I discovered that this idea was not just a theory but was based on biology [reference to the Golden Circle: the limbic brain – the decision-making part of the brain that governs behavior, trust and loyalty – and how it corresponds to why].

Once I realized my why – to inspire people to do what inspires them – I stopped talking about what I do, and began telling people about what I believe instead. Not only did it restore my passion, but it started having a profound effect on my career. I shared the idea with friends and they started making changes in their lives, and they invited me to share it with their friends. People kept inviting me to share with them what I had learned. And for me, the challenge was no longer what to do but how to I find all the great ways to bring this to life. And that set in motion what is now a very surreal life. I now receive two to four speaking requests per day. Prior to four years ago, the amount of speaking I did was minimal. There’s nothing more incredible, more fulfilling than being able to share something that has so profoundly changed my life with others. I get emails, I hear and see the impact of this message. I don’t think I invented anything; I put words to something that makes it actionable. To be able to share this with others is the greatest journey there can be. 
  
Q: What is your inspiration? 

A: The thing that inspires me is the thing I give to the world. Ninety percent of people don’t feel fulfilled by the work that they do. And I’ve been there, I’ve been a part of that ninety percent… but I think that number is way too high. I understand that the world is imperfect, but that number is way too high. I want to see that number reversed; I want to live in a world where ninety percent of people feel fulfilled by the work they do and the life they live. That is now my absolute devotion - to connect with people, find and encourage the leaders and organizations that can help change that statistic. To find the organizations that start with why and create cultures where people love to work there. Anyone who wants to can carry the message and join the movement – we are going to change the world and reverse that statistic. 

Q: How do you think your message differs from old adages such as "follow your dreams" or "do what you love" or "find your passion and the money will follow"?

A: It’s all true but my message is more actionable.  The only people who say to do what you love are already doing what they love. We all know to follow our passions – it’s true, that’s not the problem. But how is it actionable? If we knew how to do it, we would all do it. It’s not the theoretical construct that’s the problem. The problem is that people don’t know how to follow their dreams or find what they love. What you love or are passionate about comes from somewhere and is grounded in something. I want to help people get to that place and find that thing [their why].

Q: What has been the biggest surprise or lesson to you on this journey?

A: The biggest surprise is that regardless of who I speak with - military or non-profit or individuals or entrepreneurs - all the problems are exactly the same. They are all human being problems. People are all looking for fulfillment and to find others who believe what they believe, people they can trust, and to feel a part of something. Every organization likes to believe that their problems are unique, but I’ve learned they are all the same at the core. 

Q: What is the best way for college students to utilize or implement your message?

A: College students are at a unique crossroads because their “why” is not fully formed. Most students ask themselves the wrong question. Instead of asking what do I want to do, the question is why do I do what I do? Once you answer this question, they can apply it. College students should evaluate why they like certain professors, what clubs do they love being a part of, what about the college experience do they love, who are their mentors and why? Start noticing the commonalities. The earlier you start figuring this out, the more fulfillment you can have for the rest of your life. And ultimately that will lead to greater success and happiness. 

Q: What is the best way for parents to integrate and pass on this philosophy to their children??

A: To talk about it. A husband and a wife can explicitly pass on beliefs and values to their children. The more explicit the parents are about their values and beliefs, the more they will get passed on to their kids. 

Q: What does faith mean to you?

A: Faith in yourself, in religion, and in others are all the same thing: undying belief. Faith is undying belief in wanting to be part of a cause. The more you can find and surround yourself with people who believe what you believe, the more you have undying faith, which is a source of charisma. Charisma is the undying belief in something that is bigger than yourself. Those with deep faith have charisma. 

Q: How do you see this movement progressing?

A: Fast and big! What is important to me is that the message/movement goes automatically. I’m not the only one who can do it or should do it. Those who believe what I believe should take up arms and pass it on to others. The way the movement will grow is by not having to be about me – it’s bigger than any one person. 

To see Simon Sinek in person and hear more about his journey into Why and how it’s changing the world, plan on attending Indigo Village’s annual ‘It Takes A Village to Create Change’ conference being held November 6, 2010. Simon’s keynote speech will be followed by a question and answer forum. You’ll also have access to 17 breakout sessions by leaders in the field of health, nutrition, self-empowerment, parenting, and more.  

Founded in 2005 by Susie Walton (who has raised five boys including L.A. Laker Luke Walton), Indigo Village is committed to inspiring positive change and peace in the community and the world by empowering individuals, families and parents through education, personal development, holistic health modalities, and life-changing experiences. To learn more about the event and the non-profit Indigo Village Educational Foundation, to purchase event tickets, or to donate to the cause, call 760-633-3754 or visit www.villageconference.com.



Indigo Village

No comments:

Post a Comment